History

 Edward R. Drayton, Jr. started City Nursery in 1950 as a hobby. Mr. Drayton was a master barber by trade but loved plants. He turned a portion of his backyard into an area for growing azalea and tomato plants and then sold them in front of his barber shop. From that humble beginning, Mr. Drayton slowly bought land and by 1960 had a six-acre nursery of field grown plants. His wife Agnes Graham Drayton assisted the nursery by operating a florist shop and managing the retail portion of the nursery for twenty-five years. Her operation helped finance City Nursery during the summer and winter months when cash flow was a little tight.

 In 1970, the youngest son, Thomas A. Drayton, “Tom,” came to work at the nursery. Through his efforts the nursery became containerized and grew to eleven acres. The family owned business prospered and in 1978 Marion Graham Drayton, “Graham,” a son who had just gotten out of the United States Army, began working at the nursery.

Edward R. Drayton, Jr. retired in 1981 after thirty-one years in the nursery business. The name of the nursery changed to City Nursery Farm. Inc. with Tom becoming president and Graham vice-president. These two sons expanded the nursery to approximately one hundred and twenty five acres.  In 2001 Wesley Drayton, Tom’s son, became the third generation to join the family business.

 In 2008 Graham retired and Wesley becameSecretary/Treasurer of the company.




Members of:

North Carolina Association of Nurserymen

South Carolina Landscape & Turfgrass Association

South Carolina Nursery & Landscape Association

 


 



Web Hosting